Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

The Essential 100 Movies

Now that the 2010 Toronto International Film Festival is a thing of the past, the new TIFF Bell Lightbox is the trendy new spot in the entertainment district.  I recently stopped in during the Nuit Blanche festivities and picked up - or, I was sternly handed - a copy of the TIFF Presents magazine.  Similar to Famous, the magazine type thingy you might grab on your way into a movie at Cineplex, TIFF Presents is all about movies.  On the last page of this particular edition is The Essential 100, a list of the top 100 films of all time.  You can check out the link for the complete 100 but the top 10 go as follows:
THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (Carl Theodor Dreyer)
CITIZEN KANE (Orson Welles)
L'AVVENTURA (Michaelangelo Antonioni)
THE GODFATHER (Francis Ford Coppola)
PICKPOCKET (Robert Bresson)
SEVEN SAMURAI (Akira Kurosawa)
7 PATHER PANCHALI (Satyajit Ray)
CASABLANCA (Michael Curtiz)
MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA (Dziga Vertov)
10 BICYCLE THIEVES (Vittorio De Sica)
Now I must admit, I haven't seen ANY of those 10 movies.  If I'm really being honest, I've only ever heard of Citizen Kane, The Godfather & Casablanca...please take a deep breath, plans are already in the works to see the Godfather soon.  It isn't until #26, 2001: A Space Odyssey, that I can definitively say I've seen this movie from start to finish.  It wasn't until #30, Star Wars, that I found a film that would possibly crack my top 10 or 15 favourite movies.  I was starting to question my taste in movies.  Finally I reached #40, Pulp Fiction and my faith in the movie industry was slightly restored.  I felt like I was getting on a role with #42, Slumdog Millionaire and maybe my favourites would help complete the list of 100.

I was surprised when I finished the list and realized there was a significantly greater number of movies that ended up in my "haven't seen or heard of" bucket.  More importantly, I was shocked to discover that my all-time favourite movie wasn't chosen by the "movie experts" that compiled this list.  I was sure the anthemic soundtrack and the Tom Skerritt's moustache would be enough for this classic to possibly slide in at #99.  Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards put on a masterful performance in Top Gun and gave guys all over the world a new approach when trying to pick up in a bar;


And what about another of the all time greats, with one of the best speeches in motion picture history.  Not only is V for Vendetta a great movie but it reminds us to; "remember, remember the 5th of November, the Gunpowder Treason & Plot"...I know of no reason why this movie was omitted, an error for sure we have caught.  Is there another movie that better highlights the value of a good thesaurus?


While I probably won't put up too much of a fight should you disagree about my two choices above making the Top 100 movies of all time, I will argue until I'm blue in the face for this next submission.  Silence of the Lambs is a fantastic movie with Sir Anthony Hopkins delivering an Academy Award winning performance.  The hit television shows CSI & Criminal Minds need to thank this epic movie for making the scientific search for bad guys something that is cool.  Is there a character in film that more people hate to love then Hannibal Lecter;


I love the debates that arise whenever any kind of list is published or shared.   We've all been sitting around in someones living room or backyard, sharing a beer, when eventually the question is posed, what's your top 5 favourite books/songs/movies/comics/sports moments...the list could go on for a while.  When passionate people are talking, the debates will often get animated.  We may not always agree with each other but the best moments are when someone is enthusiastically explaining why their favourite film deserves serious consideration to be included among the best ever; for example...Matthew Lillard's performance in Hackers as Emmanuel Goldstein was pure magic, and when you combine that with the short hair and tight leathers worn by Miss Jolie...well, can you argue against this movie being among the Top 5 films of all time?


OK, so I'm really just using this post to try-out using YouTube videos in my blog but I'm also wondering what you think about the Top 100 Essentials list...have you seen them all and do you agree with the rankings?  Did your top 5 make the list and where did they rank?  Most of these movies are being shown at the TIFF Bell Lightbox this month...just in case you're looking for a fun time out.  A few of the other 100 that caught my eye include #56, Pan's Labyrinth, #72, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon & #79, Jaws...a movie that I honestly believe has given me a phobia for swimming in the open water - we'll discuss that another time.

Lists will always be subjective because emotion is attached to experience.  Certain movies will always gravitate towards the top based on their cinematography (The Wizard of Oz), technological achievement (Avatar), or box-office gross sales (Titanic).  It's when a film is viewed as the first movie with your new TV, or with your brand new sounds system, or at the drive-in in your new car; those films hold a greater weight on our personal lists.  We share a bond with those movies that triggers an emotional response.   When a film is able to captured your heart, your imagination or make you think of the world in a different light, that's when you'll argue until 3am in the morning in support of that movies place among the best of all time.  That's what makes movies great and the reason for the bookcase filled with DVD's.

To add a 5th movie that should have been included with the Essential Movies of All Time...sure the graphics aren't exactly perfect, and maybe a flying dog is a bit of a stretch but watching Falcor fly through the sky in The Neverending Story captured this imagination of this kid.  It made me believe in the power of a good book and when Air Canada starts selling seats on the back of a flying dog, I'll be the first one buying!!

1 comment:

  1. Atreyu.... AAATTREEEYYYUUUUU! Classic film.

    I think Major League would definetly crack my top 20.

    Nice work cuz.. keep em coming.

    ReplyDelete