Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Good Day Gone Bad

We all having those "things" that drive us bananas.  Picture this...you're having a great day, you got to sleep in an extra 30 mins this morning, the line at Tim Hortons was short, two people have already complimented you on the new shirt you're wearing and it feels like nothing could wipe the smile off your face...then it happens!  You can't predict when it's gonna happen, you can't completely eliminate it from your life and no matter what state of mind you're in, this little incident will knock you off the rails for an undetermined amount of time.  Yup, I'm talking about Pet Peeves...those simple annoyances that force you to shake your head and ask the world, why me?  This morning, I experienced one of my biggest Pet Peeves.

One of my biggest pet peeves comes from driving on the highway.  My family moved to the Greater Toronto Area when I was a much younger lad.  We still had family back in the Ottawa region which meant numerous road trips down the 401 every year.  When I turned 16, I was more then happy to take the wheel for these 5 hour trips and quickly learned why my folks didn't fight me for the driving privilege.  Is there something people don't understand about SLOWER TRAFFIC, KEEP RIGHT?  Driving on the highway is like being on a TTC or on an airport escalator - stand right, walk left.  The same philosophy has been applied all over the world, fast stuff on the left, slower stuff keep right.  They've even have signs posted on the highways to remind drivers about this simple driving etiquette.

They even get this philosophy in the desserts
On a 2 or 3 lane highway, simply going the posted speed limit does not give you the privilege of remaining in the far left lane when there are cars lined-up behind you.  I understand if you can't immediately get over and aren't comfortable going much higher then the speed limit, good on ya!  Those folks are in the right and I'm not mad at them because eventually, they get over when there's room!  What drives me crazy are the people that, when the opportunity is available to safely move over into the right lane and allow the faster traffic behind you to pass , you remain in the "fast lane".  Furthermore, if you're going 10km/h or even 20km/h over the posted limit, you still aren't entitled to sit in the far left lane - some people want to go 30km/h.  Now, please don't interpret that I'm in support of going over the speed-limit.  I've learned my lessons (plural) and understand why those speed limits are there.  I'm simply trying to help people understand the anger & frustration they're causing when they feel the need to sit in the left lane and allow a line of cars to build behind them.  Who died and made you the speed police?  I'm sorry but I didn't get that memo.

To my friend in the Honda Civic with the fancy muffler tip, low profile tires and dark tinted windows, I bite my thumb at you sir.  Thanks to your simple yet correctable action, I was unable to enjoy one of my favourite songs on the radio this morning and my coffee just didn't taste the same after our meeting.

But you did motivate me to blog about our encounter...so I suppose you're forgiven this one time, but don't let it happen again!

I need to get one of these for my windshield

No comments:

Post a Comment